Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Podcasts



Dr. Strange had our class listen to 6 podcasts and then we could write our reactions. I had never really listened to podcasts before so i didn't really know what to expect. The first time listening through all of them I was really bored they reminded me of the radio shows that my parents listen to to bore the death out of me. After a while I just shut them off and didn't listen to them for a while after that. That was kind of extreme of me to do but I didn't care, I had listened to a few minutes of each and i thought that was enough, however; I was extremely wrong. After a week or so I decided to listen to them again, I mean after all this blog had to be done, and I found out a lot more then I had imagined.

The first thing that I learned was that i had to listen to more than 5 minutes of each section to get anything out of it. Yes, I still feel like it was a little boring at points however I found out some very beneficial. These podcasts are like little radio shows where teachers can help one another by sharing information to one another. Not only can they share via email to the hosts, but the hosts themselves know what they are talking about. I feel that if you use a podcast then you are quite an innovative person because podcasts are really knew thing to the world of technology and especially teaching. I think teaching has come a long way and I feel that one of the reasons this is because people like that who do these shows.

The show that I liked the most was SMARTboard. One thing that I really liked about that was that the hosts were not just men or female. First, I really feel that it is a great thing to hear males involved because there have been lack of male role models in teaching lately, but i really also liked the chemistry. The man and woman had a very good way of talking to one another and they didn't have the same views which always makes everything a lot more interesting. One thing that I didn't not fully understand when they were talking about it was the actual smart board. I think if maybe I would be able to see it then it would make alot more sense. I was guessing that it was some type of computer, it was $8,000 so it had to be something quite fancy.

The other show that I didn't really care for was the MacBreak show. It wasn't that I didn't like the show it was more that i did not really get into it. All of the men were kind of geeky so I felt that they all knew what they were talking about, but at the same time we were suppose to understand it as well. I am really into Mac anything so I did really enjoy that aspect of everything but if I was just a normal person I would have not understood it at all. Also, it was kind of static-y to listen to so it just was kind of unappealing.

Overall, I really did enjoy learning the new things when it came to the podcasts. I know I was very harsh in some of my critiques, but I think that would only help them out in the long run. Podcasts are going to be the next big thing in the technology world so I think that this can only get better. Also, if we listen to them now I think it personally helped me when it did come to the teaching and technology tips. Podcasts are going to be the next big things in years to come.

No comments: