Wednesday, December 3, 2008

ACCESS LAB

The ACCESS lab that I went to was at Baker High School. I was very fortunate because while they were very hard working with some people they were very generous and welcoming with me. Since I had no one to go with I made my teammate, Kari Fraizer, a Baker Alum to come with me. There she showed me around the whole school and we then went to the ACCESS lab. These ACCESS labs are all over the state of Alabama and the point of them is that there are classes on the other side of the state that maybe students want to take, and these classes allow them to.

Even though the cost of these labs are extremely high, I believe that the whole idea is brilliant. There is no better way for students to learn about technology and meet new people then to be involved with these ACCESS labs. Kari said that she was not really well aware of what the ACCESS lab was all about and I feel that is how many students are. This is a great experience they are passing up not because they want to but because they don't really understand it. I also think that these labs are really good with helping prepare a student for college because many times the classes are not nearly as personal.

I had a very good time visiting the ACCESS lab and learning all about what they really are. I think that every state should have them and that Alabama should support their ACCESS labs more. The only way these labs are going to do well is if they have some more premotion so students can learn more about them. Other than that I wish I was in high school again so I could try out one of these classes....well, not really, but you get my point:)

P.S. I brought my camera and it died, therefore you are unable to see a picture of me and Kari's beautiful faces. I went to go back and get a picture, but they wouldn't let me in because I didn't have an appointment...I guess I should have brought Kari again!

No comments: