Tuesday, November 11, 2008

FISCHBOWL-TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE

When I heard people say phrases like, “I don’t get computers” or “me and my computer don’t get along-it hates me”, I used to just accept that as a normal response and I helped the person out. Now, after reading this post and thinking more about it, why would I ever want to handicap someone like that? Karl Fisch had some great points that he was trying to make in his blog, and one that really stuck with me was teachers today that are technologically illiterate are like teachers who couldn’t read a hundred years ago. Teachers are only hindering their students when they do not know what is going on in the advancement of technology. When a 3rd grader knows more about a computer than his teacher does, we have to ask ourselves, should that person still be allowed to teach? We are here to help out our students and have them grow and learn and if they are the ones teaching us then what are they really getting out of it?

I believe that there is no doubt that Karl Fisch shouldn’t have won the award for most influential blog, because everyone needs to read it and then reflect. I am sure that there were many people who changed the way they felt about computers after reading that blog. I know I did. Sometimes I get really frustrated with the Internet and technology in general, but the times are getting more advanced everyday. Instead of rejecting it, why do we not just embrace it for all we can. The main thing I want to do in life is really have an influence on the children I teach and I want them to know I did all I could to help them learn. By being not only computer literate but also technologically advanced, I can achieve that dream.

Is It Ok To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

No comments: